Roanoke Public Library (RPL) provides a program room for public use. The Program Room Policy is developed in accordance with the library’s mission. The program room is available to all Roanoke area organizations and local units of government on equal terms regardless of opinion or affiliation free of charge. The program room is also available to local businesses for a fee.
- The library does not sponsor or endorse the views of any group using the meeting room.
- A group may not use the library’s name in any form or identify or imply that the library is a sponsor of a meeting/event. Exception: the library’s name may be used in the address of the meeting/event.
- The name, address, and/or telephone number of the library must not be used as the official address or headquarters of an organization.
- The program room is not available for personal or family parties or purely social functions unless sponsored by the library or approved by the Director.
- Minors using a meeting room must be supervised by adults. The adult supervisor will be responsible for any damage.
- If children are brought to adult meetings, the accompanying adult is responsible for the children’s behavior throughout the building. If children create a disturbance in the library, they will be required to stay with the adult in the program room.
- No charge may be made for admission and no freewill collection may be made in the library. Items, services, and memberships may not be sold, bought or promoted. Exceptions must be arranged with the Director.
- Any open flames, including the use of open candles, are prohibited by state fire regulations.
This policy is for use of the library for outside groups and does not apply to library programs, library sponsored programs, or approved use by RPL-affiliated groups.
The library administration has written procedures for the use and scheduling of the Program room that are in the best interest of the library and the community. A program room application must be completed to reserve a meeting room.
The person filling out a meeting room reservation must be at least 18 years old.
- Local nonprofit organizations, units of government and businesses may reserve program room up to 90 days in advance, as available, up to 20 times a year.
- The meeting rooms are not available for personal or family parties or purely social functions unless sponsored by the library or approved by the Director.
- Meeting room reservations should be made at least a week in advance. Reservations requested less than 72 hours in advance must be made by telephone or in person in the Director’s Office, Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m.-7 p.m., or by phone, (260)672-2989, to ensure that meeting room use is approved.
- All reservations are on a first come, first served basis.
- No group may assign its reservation to another group.
The program room is normally available during the hours which the library is open to the public. The program room use may continue past library closing time if advance arrangements are made.
The public is welcome at all meetings which have not been limited by the group reserving the program room in its reservation.
The library reserves the right to:
- share the contact information of any individual/organization that books the program room, if a request is made by a member of the public.
- preempt or reschedule meetings when the library needs the program room space.
- refuse or discontinue any use which is disruptive to the normal operation of the library, destructive to the building or equipment, fails to follow the library’s Behavioral Rules, or if information is falsified on the program room application. Program room use that generates excessive noise will be considered disruptive.
- allow staff to enter program room to ensure adherence to library policies and to inform groups of the library closing.
The library may cancel scheduled room use when library policy has been or will be violated.
Groups showing copyrighted movies in the library’s public meeting rooms are solely responsible for obtaining written public performance licensing rights. Borrowing, renting, or purchasing a movie does not carry with it the right to show the movie outside the home.
Use by Nonprofit Organizations and Local Units of Government:
Nonprofit organizations operating in the Roanoke area and units of local government may reserve the program room. Use by nonprofit organizations and units of local government is free of charge however, donations are accepted. Organizations claiming nonprofit status may be asked to provide a copy of their IRS Form 501(c)(3), Articles of Incorporation, or a Tax Exempt Certificate.
It is the responsibility of the nonprofit organization or unit of local government to contact library administration if a meeting has been canceled.
Use by Businesses:
Businesses operating in the Roanoke area may reserve the program room for a $30.00 donation per hour established by the Board of Trustees and subject to change.
Payment for use by a local business is due when the reservation is made.
It is the responsibility of the business to contact library administration when a meeting has been canceled. If a business cancels a reservation less than one week before the meeting was scheduled, no refund will be made. The library will refund fees as follows:
- 50% of the fee if a business cancels a reservation more than one week before the meeting was scheduled.
- 100% of the fee if a business cancels a reservation more than two weeks before the meeting was scheduled.
- 100% of the fee if the library cancels the meeting at any time.
Program room users are responsible for meeting room and equipment setup and cleanup. The program room has a set configuration. If a group decides to use a different room setup, the room must be returned to its original configuration upon departure.
Audio/visual equipment may be used with prior approval by the Library Director.
Groups that have questions about library meeting room equipment should plan to visit the library between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Thursday, before their event.
The library is not responsible for the loss of and/or damage to equipment or materials owned by groups. The library cannot store supplies or equipment belonging to a group. All materials left are turned into Lost and Found.
Light refreshments may be served during meetings in the program room. The group using the room must provide supplies and equipment for serving refreshments. The library does not have full kitchen facilities.
Meeting Room Usage Subject to Clean-up Fees:
If a group fails to leave a meeting room or equipment in its original configuration and condition, or does not vacate the room by the scheduled reservation time, it will be charged a fee, as approved by the Board of Trustees in the Fee Schedule.
Revised and updated 12/15/2015 and on 3/27/2017.
Conference/Meeting Room Application
Roanoke Public Library
The Library’s program/meeting room is available to individuals, groups, or organization in accordance with Library policies.
Library Card Number (if applicable) _____________________________________________
Contact phone number_______________________________________________________
Time (start and end) _________________________________________________________
Number of attendees expected _________________________________________________
Description of meeting_______________________________________________________
All meeting must begin no later than 7 pm- Monday-Thursday or 1pm on Saturday unless special arrangements are made with Library staff.
_I have read the policies for use of the meeting room and agree to comply with them. I understand that Library programs and services take priority and may result in cancellation of other scheduled meetings or events.
Please note: Meeting room reservations are not confirmed until this completed form has been reviewed and approved by designated library personnel.
LIBRARY USE ONLY
Date(s) Reserved ___________________________________________________________
Library Staff Reserving the Room: ______________________________________________
Fee Paid or 501(c) 3 paperwork attached _____________________________________
Check No. ____________ Date Signed __________________________
For Printable form, click on Meeting room application for use
|FEE TYPE||FEE AMOUNT|
|For Businesses||$30 an hour|
|For Not-For-Profits||Free (Donations Accepted)|
|For Personal Use (Parties/Gatherings)||Freewill Donation|
|For Meetings of Small Groups (i.e. Tutoring, Social Services, etc.)||Free (Donations Accepted)|
|Cleaning, if necessary after event||$100|