The Roanoke Public Library Board of Trustees reserves the right to prohibit from the library premises and refuse further admission to individuals who violate the rights of the staff or Library users, or create disorder on library premises in any of the following situations by authority of the Library Director. Any situation in which the actions of a person present imminent danger to the life or safety of others on the library premises is prohibited. Also, any situation in which a person is observed in an attempt to steal library property or that of another library users, or misuse or destruction of library property or that of another library user is prohibited. Any situation in which a person willfully and purposefully disturbs the staff or other library users, or whose voice or behavior is in any way disruptive to the legitimate use of the library by others is also prohibited.
Library patrons are expected to:
- Supervise behavior and safety of minors for which you are responsible. Adults who cannot care for themselves must also be monitored by their caregivers while on library property.
- Attend to personal belongings. The Library is not responsible for belongings left in/on Library property.
- Use library and library furniture, equipment and materials for their intended function.
- Wear appropriate clothing. Shoes and shirts must be worn.
- Maintain acceptable personal hygiene. Persons with odor offensive enough to constitute a nuisance to others will be required to leave the library.
- Use covered containers when bringing beverages into library buildings and to keep all food and drink away from the computers.
- Refrain from solicitation of any kind for any purpose without prior approval of the Library Director.
- Leave the library at the designated closing time.
Inappropriate behavior includes, but is not limited to:
Any activity in violation of Federal, State, local or other applicable law or library policy
Possession of a controlled substance
Possession of a weapon
Use of abusive or loud language
Solicitation except for library sanctioned activities
Running, playing, throwing, fighting
Accessing pornographic or sexually suggestive Internet sites
Violators of these rules will be asked to leave the Library premises, or, when appropriate will be subject to arrest. Violators refusing to leave the premises may be subject to arrest and prosecution under section 35-43-2-2 of the Indiana Code entitled “Criminal Trespass.” Vandalism to Library property or theft may result in being permanently banned from the Library and criminal charges may be filed.
Revised and approved September 13, 2002; Updated and approved 9/13/04. Revised and approved 4/17/2013.